Sunday, March 11, 2012

Sloppy Lentils

3.1.12
I knew Thursday afternoon/evening was going to be busy, so I found this recipe & prepped the onion & pepper the night before. That way, I could go to yoga, come home, eat dinner, go to the neighborhood meeting & check out some friend's bands. All without cooking!

This might be one of the best dishes to come from the slow cooker yet. It was super easy, I even overslept & got it all ready before heading to work on time. And it was super tasty. I used tomatoes from my mother's garden that I had canned last summer which made it a little extra juicy. Served with slider rolls & crisp lettuce. As leftovers, I ate it as soup with slices of tomatoes on top.


Ingredients
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium-size yellow onion, chopped
1 small red or green bell pepper, seeded & chopped
1 tbsp chili powder
1.5 cups brown lentils, picked over & rinsed
14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
3 cups water
2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
1 tbsp prepared mustard
1 tbsp light brown sugar
1 tsp salt
Freshly ground black pepper

1. Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion & pepper, cook until softened ~5 min. Add chili powder, stirring to coat.
2. Transfer to slow cooker. Add lentil, tomatoes, water, tamari, mustard, brown sugar, salt & pepper to taste & stir to combine. Cover & cook on low for 8 hours.

Serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment