Monday, March 26, 2012

Homemade Veggie Broth

Lately I've been experimenting with making my own vegetable broth in the crock-pot. Vegetable bullion has a lot of added salt and can be expensive if you use it a lot in cooking. Instead of composting those carrot tops, onion skins, kale stems, broccoli stalks and garlic peels, I throw them in the freezer. When I have a full tupperware full, I put the frozen veggies in the crock-pot with 8 cups of water. You can spices like peppercorns and a bay leaf too but might not be necessary. 6-8 hours later, you have a nice pot of homemade broth. Press out the veggies through a sieve or colander. I usually freeze and label in 2-3 cup portions so next time I make soup, bulger or rice, I just have to defrost.

Some friends were over and mentioned they were juicing a lot of fruits and vegetables lately. I think the pulp leftover from juicing could be used in the same way to make broth.

No comments:

Post a Comment