Monday, March 26, 2012

3 Dishes in 4 Days

Thursday.
I still had lots of lentils on my shelf, so I decided to make the "What a Dal" recipe from my vegetarian slow cooker book. I had all the spices, but it just wasn't that tasty. I'm not sure why. It also wasn't what I thought of as typical dal. This had brown lentils & beans, not soupy at all. It was a little better as leftovers, but truthfully the best thing about it was the cornbread I ate it with.


Saturday.
Dessert!

Brown Rice Pudding with Golden Raisins and Toasted Almonds

This recipe was super easy & would be a great use of rice left over from a previous dinner.

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
1 1/2 cups milk or vanilla soy milk
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
1/3 cup golden raisins or other dried fruit
1/3 - 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted

1. Combine all but raisins & almonds in lightly oiled slow cooker, stirring to mix well. Cover & cook on low for 3-4 hours, stirring once halfway through & add raisins.
2. Serve warm & garnish with toasted almonds.

Sunday.
Sweet & Sour Cabbage. This was another super easy & tasty dish. It only takes 10 minutes to prep & is a good way to get another winter vegetable in your diet. It is perfectly sweet & sour. I served it with veggie burgers, but the book suggests vegetarian sausage links mixed in. I might try that next.


Ingredients
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small yellow onion, minced
2 tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 medium-size head red cabbage, cored & shredded
1 mediun-size cooking apple, like Granny Smith or Rome Beauty, peeled, cored & chopped
Salt & pepper

1. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion, cover & cook until soft ~5min. Add flour & cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add water, stirring until smooth.
2. Transfer onion mixture to slow cooker & stir in vinegar & brown sugar. Add cabbage & apple, season with salt & pepper, stir to combine. Cover & cook on low for 5-6 hours, until tender. Taste to adjust seasonings, serve hot.

1 comment:

  1. Ohh, I am totally going to do the s and s cabbage. We have half a head staring at me from the fridge making me feel guilty.

    ReplyDelete