Saturday, February 9, 2013

Arroz non Pollo

I don't always like vegetarian recipes that try to recreate a meat based dish. But it's been so long since I cooked with meat (since living at home in high school), sometimes I don't even know what the veggie dish is "supposed" to taste like.

I tried this recipe because a friend was coming over for an early dinner on a weeknight and ever since Patrick started working at Lotus Foods, we have tons of rice! If you have already cooked rice like I did, decrease the stock to 2 cups and add the rice at same time you add peas, salsa & olives. I slow cooked chickpeas the day before and made only slight changes to the recipe to fit what we had in the cabinet. Like I said, I don't remember what Chicken with Rice should taste like, but this recipe was super yummy and very hearty.


Arroz non Pollo
Serves 5

1 med yellow onion, chopped
1 small carrot, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 tsp dried oregano (I used parsley)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp saffron threads (I used tumeric)
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with juice (I used half jar of pasta sauce)
3 cups vegetable stock
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
8 oz green beans, cut into 1-in lengths
1 1/2 c chickpeas or 15.5 oz can
salt & pepper to taste
1 c quick cooking rice
3/4 c salsa
1/2 c frozen peas
1/3 c sliced pimiento-stuffed green olives, drained

1. Saute onion and carrot in water until soft. Stir in garlic, oregano, cumin and saffron and cook 2 min longer.
2. Transfer veggies to slow cooker. Add tomatoes, stock, bell pepper, green beans and chickpeas. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours.
3. About an hour before end of cooking time, stir in rice, cover and cook on Low until tender. See note above if you have already cooked rice.
4. About 10 minutes before serving, stir in salsa, peas, and olives and cover. Taste to adjust seasonings before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment