Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Millet and Burdock Root Stew

I had a hard time finding burdock root at the grocery store. Not because they didn't have any, in fact the Berkeley Bowl had it in two spots. It was just labeled "gobo" which I learned is it's Japanese name. The produce guy I asked took me to where it was, but I guess he also didn't really know what it looked like so we had to find the head produce guy before we found it. They then discussed making sure that the signs are labeled with both names. I'll have to check if they've updated them next time I go.

This is what it looks like - burdock root or gobo.
This stew was slightly sweet & nutty. It got really thick & the edges burned a bit. I think this may be because my slowcooker is really big and the recipe calls for a smaller one. It was still tasty even though it's consistency was more like mush. It might have also just cooked too longer. Next time I might add another cup of broth or water.


It doesn't look like much, but it was really tasty & comforting. It had lots of meaty mushrooms & the millet was the perfect grain.

No comments:

Post a Comment